Thursday, April 15, 2010

What This Project Is

I established a Facebook account in early 2010. The main reason initially was to reconnect with many old friends to see how they were doing. One thing I noticed right off the bat was a game called Farmville. It was somewhat amusing to see the updates about the various activities the players did while playing the game. Around the same time frame, my son and I rented a place with no shortage of weeds growing all around. It seemed only natural to turn a yard full of weeds into a garden that would hopefully produce some of the things I missed about not having a farm anymore. I now had enough room to plant things like sweet corn, melons, tomatoes and anything else I think of before it gets too late in the season. The Farmville game gave me the idea to post updates as progress was made getting the many different chores done to make this weed patch actually produce something.

I plan to take as many pictures as I can but I am not what you would call an avid photographer. I will keep up for the most part just because I want bragging rights for what I envision will be a very dramatic transformation of this yard. It looks like most of the yard was used in the past to park various types of small construction equipment, so there has been a great deal general clean up as the weeds die down. I had to spray these things twice with glyphosate (I'm staying away from referencing trade names).

One thing I think would be pretty cool is if this project can supply a majority of the food for a meal. I have two very hungry boys that hang around quite a bit, Kevin Jr. and RJ. They will also be the main farmworkers, as I plan on declaring myself the foreman. My lovely daughter Jessica also joins us for dinner every few days, so there are plenty of mouths to feed from this project. I guess if I get a few chickens and throw up a small coop, it would be possible to to do the whole meal from our little "farm". I'll need to think some more about the chickens though. I have always had a problem with "scope creep" whenever I jump into a project. Hopefully everyone enjoys following along with this and all of us might even learn something useful along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck and good farminging Kevin!

    Fidel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fidel. I think learning how to operate this blogs is way harder than clearing the way for the garden.

    ReplyDelete