Friday, April 16, 2010

The Not So Main Site


These pictures show the other site for the project. As you can see in one of them, a few things have already been planted. So far, the crops planted are garlic, red and white onions, broccoli, romanesco, and yellow fin potatoes. The bootleg looking plastic fencing was to keep Roxie, the border collie, from cutting through. She is now trained to go around this area when she decides it's time to go over to the highway and herd the cars. She's pretty good at it and up to now, she's kept all the cars where they need to be, moving on down the road.

The other picture is an area I started clearing. It is not accessible to a tractor, so everything will be done manually. I raked and piled the weeds up last night until it got dark. Today I'll make Kevin Jr. and RJ haul them out of here. Instead of helping me last night, they spent their time patching holes in a boat because they think they can get it fixed up enough to go frogging. My belief is working on The Farmville Reality Project will pay bigger dividends than fixing up a boat to go frogging. Takes a bunch of frog's legs to make a meal. As I cleared this area without benefit of a tractor, I thought this is how my grandfather must have felt. He had to drop out of the eighth grade to help his father work the farm back around 1918. Five years later, in 1923, he was able to rent a few acres and start his own operation. Back then, all of the work was with animals or by hand. I don't think he was able to buy a tractor until the late thirties. Whenever I feel like complaining about doing some manual labor, I remind myself that there were people in my family that could have legitimately complained about working hard and never did. My grandfather was one such person. He passed away back in 1988, but my bet is he is keeping an eye on this project.










2 comments:

  1. I'm sure he's keeping an eye on it and you too. Looks great Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynda, I know he keeps an eye out for me. I wish he was around to do this with me. He loved growing things.

    ReplyDelete