Friday, April 16, 2010

Ground Work

It's amazing what a difference it makes when you have a access to a tractor. The transformation from weed patch to garden friendly took all of about three hours. I let Kevin Jr. pose on the tractor in exchange for bringing horses over later to ride around the garden. His friend Rachel has horses and lives about two football fields to the north. I rode "Sport" around the yard and then he and Rachel took off and rode over to where my old farm was. In the mean time, I went to work disking up the weed patch. As you can see, it's starting to look like I might be able to grow something here. I have to thank my friend that loaned me the tractor and disk. He is much like me in that he has to sit behind the desk most of the week. He keeps things real by planting a couple hundred acres of triticale and safflower though. It's funny how farming gets into your blood, no matter what you end up doing for a living, you always find a way to scratch the dirt and throw a few seeds out and wish for the best.

4 comments:

  1. I think you do truly have farming in your blood. And it looks like you've passed it on to your beautiful son. I'm so glad you are finding a way to do something you are so passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definately something that gets in your blood. The hard work keeps those with just a passing interest from diving in too deep. He's a good kid and has a healthy interest in agriculture. He appreciates how big a role it has been in his family. When he was little, he was like a shadow of me while I worked around the farm. Once when he was ten, we needed him to drive a tractor while my dad, Paul, and I transplanted a few hundred tomato plants. He did great but later when he bragged to his school friends, they didn't believe he drove a tractor all by himself.

    Different subject, I planted tomatoes today and will hopefully post about it in the near future. A couple of the varieties I planted were ones your dad and I talked about when they were fairly new back around thirty some odd years ago. Funny how some things stand the test of time. I hope your dad still plants a garden these days. He got such enjoyment from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you remember when you taught ME how to drive a tractor? Well, it came in handy one day. One summer my dad broke his ankle and was having a hard time keeping up with his chores around his farm. So we all pitched in and helped him. Well, no one was willing to drive the tractor so I gave it a shot. I didn't cause too much damage and we actually got the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do remember and I'm glad it came in handy. It's funny how some things you learn do come in handy at certain times.

    ReplyDelete